I can't believe I only posted ten times in December.
Wow - just in case I was operating under some illusion that I wasn't experiencing impact from the sadness lately. Yeah.
Wow - just in case I was operating under some illusion that I wasn't experiencing impact from the sadness lately. Yeah.
That and yesterday I went to the self-contained medical machine that is Kaiser and got both a diagnosis of bronchitis and a slew of meds to take. I'm tired of being sick, so I'm upping the influence of both west and non-west - antibiotic, antihistamine, decongestant, and night-time cough medicine with codeine so I can actually sleep at night. That's the west - the non-west is giving myself space to feel all the sadness right now so that it stops coming out sideways through my nose and lungs.
To that end, I'm going to be brief today, with just some captions to catch us up.
Here's to a peaceful, prosperous, happy, and healing 2009 to all.
My partner and I went on a hike along this great trail off of Hwy 93 a couple of days after Christmas. It was beautiful and great to be outside and out of the city for an afternoon.
We started a tradition last year of watching the sun set on New Year's Eve. Last year we drove to Gates Pass and watched the sun slide down over the saguaros and Sonoran desert. This year we walked up to City Park and watched the sun set over the mountains. Last year we had coffee. This year we had coffee, cheese, crackers, and the last of my homemade toffee. After the sun set, we hung out some more to watch the kids coming out of the event at the Museum run around on the grass playing tag. It was good to see kids unplugged and running wild and great to see how far the two of us have come in a year - from driving to the desert to walking through the mountains.
Sunset on 2008.
Geese walking across the ice on the lake.
Okay, here are all the Virgens. Let's see - this one is Dec. 23rd and the tree image speaks to the bareness and rawness I'm feeling.
Christmas Eve - a twilight image full of the potential of the next day.
Christmas Day. This is from an article in Hobby Farms titled "What I Want for Christmas" and the image sums up pretty well what I want for Christmas - except maybe for the piece of large farm equipment. I'm not quite that hardcore (or I'm just that naive to think I can work my little farm without such pieces...).
Dec. 26th - turn off the lights on Christmas. It's over for another year.
Dec. 27 - We had the pleasure of watching our friends' chickens Adelaid and Henrietta over the Christmas holiday. Adelaid has started laying, so we got four fresh eggs over the length of our 4-day watch. Fantastic. I even moved a little from Chicken Theory to Chicken Practice by picking them up and putting them back in their coop when our daily visits were over.
Santa was good to me this year and gave me all sorts of rural living resources, including packets of organic seeds for my garden this spring. I spent a good part of the morning on Dec. 28th looking at online resources for gardens, including a great site that talked all about which plants support each other and which don't. Fantastic.
Dec. 29th - tired of feeling sick and coughing and wanting to soak in this great tub until all the congestion is gone.
Dec. 30th - my partner brought me her old calendar from her office and I couldn't resist using one of the gorgeous mountain images.
Dec. 31st - all the changes this year culminated in our move to Colorado. When I was away from Colorado, Maroon Bells was always the image that had me sighing the loudest - which was often since it's one of the most photographed mountains in the state - so it fit to end the year with an image of the Bells in the snow. For all of the family sadness and pain, it's good to be back in my mountains. I missed them.
November Virgens. Most of the month was about what I mean when I say "home".
December Virgens. 
No comments:
Post a Comment