
Good Morning -
I'm beginning to learn that positioning the Virgen to stand on a food item is not a good way to express the food item because it tends to get lost down there at the point where all the pieces come together. Two days ago we lost a burger down there, last night it was the mango macedonia - which is really a shot of some healthy granola and yogurt breakfast experience, but had to do since I couldn't find a picture (even online) of the wonderful mango ice cream treat I had from the raspado stand last night.
What's a raspado, you ask? It's kind of like a Mexican snow cone , but much better because the syrup is made from cooking down fruit and it has real chunks of fresh fruit in it, which brings it soaring over the standard "ice and sweet syrup" snow cone. A macedonia - which is what I had - is this fruit and syrup over vanilla ice cream. Delicious. Here's more - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snow_cone. (I used to think that if I was work-free and well-resourced, I would research and write a book about the non-leavened breads of the world and how many cultures have a quick, easy, served-at-every-meal bread as part of their food line-up. After this wikipedia article though, I might do breads and raspados...:)
What else is going on with our Virgen today? She has greens above her head to represent the hours of searching I did yesterday trying to confirm that the plants I pulled out of my garden really were dandelions before I consumed them in a salad (my partner convinced me that they really were choking the spinach and needed to be moved on). I know I wrote at length about how they are dandelions in "Low Maintenance Garden", but it's one thing to write of a plant and quite another to consume it - plus I keep remembering the scene in "Into the Wild" where Alex accidentally eats the wrong plant, turning the corner in his story from potential survival to imminent death.
I think they are dandelions but how the hell did they come to grow in my garden? Without a sufficient answer to that, I remain somewhat sceptical of consuming them - but I probably will because more than being poisoned (of which I have little to no experience) I hate wasting food (of which I have some experience). I'm experiential, so what I've experienced sticks to my bones more than what I've only read about.
Finally, our Virgen has the weekly Gemini and Leo horrorscopes for me and my partner from Rob Brezny ( http://www.freewillastrology.com/). This guy is fantastic and always, always makes me think, often also making me smile. This week I am encouraged to "make honey in the lion's skull", which loosely translates into making something sweet out of a situation that used to scare me. There are a few ideas that come to mind with this and I'll most likely make a little honey in a couple of different places.
To wrap up, we have more burlap and raffia. I admit to being not wholly smitten by these last couple of Virgens. It seems my life has gotten a bit more complicated and I've not quite found a way to express that on a 3x3 white ceramic tile.
That's the process, though, no? That's why we're here.

No comments:
Post a Comment