Saturday, June 7, 2008

Getting Grounded



Good Morning -

I struggled to settle on imagery last night for the Virgen. The air is filled with possibility and potential right now, which, while invigorating, can also be a little unsettling. To that end, I considered just having the Virgen alone on the white ceramic tile, but that felt too vastly open and a little scary. After starting and stopping with different ideas, I finally decided to open one of my magazines to a random page and use whatever was on that page.

What I opened to was a Lea and Perrin's ad with a burger coming out of the middle of the bottle. This was great because we went last night with the couple reference in "Bliss by the Numbers" to celebrate one of the women's acceptance of a new job. The place we went (http://www.charliestavernandgrill.com/) has great burgers and I got mine topped with brie - delicious. The Virgen is resting on the burger, but that's hard to tell.

From there, I decided some sort of border would make me feel good during this time of rich potential and endless possibilities, and the string matched the burger color scheme. Finally, the dirt - which I got from a friend and may contain the Valley Fever Virus (http://www.valley-fever.org/valley_fever_valley_fever_org_background.html), is my way of creating grounding.

To step for a moment into astrology, I'm a Leo Sun, Sagittarius Rising, and Gemini moon, which in the elements translates to fire-fire-air. I have no earth (Taurus, Libra, Capricorn) and no water (Cancer, Scorpio, Pisces) in my predominant signs and very little in the rest of my chart. Astrologically, this means that sometimes being grounded is a challenge for me.

Pragmatically, this means that it's important for me to do things on and with the earth - garden, lay on my back in the grass, stand barefoot on the ground, wiggle my toes down into the dirt and feel the solid stability of the earth - especially when it's a time of great potential and little certainty. Each of those grounding activities are tricky here in the desert, so I've taken to keeping a plastic bin full of rich, virus-free potting soil that I can sink my hands into and play with when I'm feeling scattered.

Today, methinks, is a day to play in the dirt.

No comments: