Good Morning -It's been a long week and I think my partner and I are both still feeling the impact of the hot, hot, hot. To that end, we had a quiet, early night last night.
Right after work, I had to go give my last sample of blood and breast fluid and, through my pee, once more validate that there is no baby growing in my belly. This finished the lab portion of the breast cancer prevention via limonene study - I still have to record if anything out of the ordinary occurs with my health in the next two weeks and mail that information back, but mostly I'm done. For the curious, I clarified with the nurse yesterday that limonene has demonstrated a level of cancer prevention effectiveness in lab animals, enough that they've moved to checking out the human response.
After the lab, we met some friends for dinner and drinks at the Red Garter (no website, no link). The friends are a retired couple I met back when I was in grad school and had a very different schedule to my day (it is a personal goal to be able to replicate that schedule - only now getting paid to have it, rather than paying to have it). They got spoiled on my flexible schedule and availability back then and the consistent challenge these last two years is continuing to find time to connect. We experienced success last night, and had a wonderful time catching up and swapping stories over some burgers and beers.
Following dinner, we decided that we needed some visual candy so stopped at Casa to pick up some movies for the weekend. This is the first weekend in a long time in which we have zero, zero plans. It's delicious and I can't decide what I will possibly do with all that untethered time.
(Important side note: as an introvert, I need regular doses of Anna Time mixed in with time with friends. As an independent, freedom-loving sort, I need bouts of unscheduled time within which I can wander freely.) (Different side note: We found out last night that one of our friends was in the ER getting tested to determine why she wasn't feeling well, so we will hopefully also be having a little time with her this weekend.)
By the time we got back to the house, it was 8:30 and nearing bedtime, so we opted to watch our Netflix DVD of Rocky Mountain National Park rather than one of the has-a-plot-to-follow movies from Casa. We both fell asleep on the couch to the deep, quiet documentary-style narration of the different sorts of evergreens found in the parks and which hiking trails are best for which sort of hiker. Fantastic.
Fantastic and the inspiration for our Virgen, which was made quickly and half-slumbering after I woke at the end of the video. The image is mountains, but not ones shot on location. I couldn't find a picture of the Colorado Rockies in my slumbery state, so settled for the Oregon Cascades. Similarly, the pine needles were brought back by my partner on her last trip to Flagstaff, so they aren't Colorado natives either. Still - it works.
Here's to a weekend of untethered, free-flying bliss.
(Quite contrary to southern AZ climate, see how my garden grows? :))

No comments:
Post a Comment