
Good Morning -
To further us into the discussion of what sorts of landscapes, people, animals, etc. I need in my home environment, we're going to talk today about goats.
I love goats. I want very much to have a couple of them, utilize their wonderful landscaping techniques, gather their milk, make a little cheese, eat some of that cheese, give some of it away, and generally enjoy these super-smart little creatures with the weird pupils.
When my partner and I are talking about future home ideas, I have a three-word phrase that always sums up my position on the matter - goats and chickens. I want to live in a place where I can care for a couple of goats and experience all of the activities I listed above (the chickens we'll talk about later - tomorrow, perhaps.).
I don't want so many goats that all of what I do is care for them, milk them, and make products from their milk. I only want a couple - just enough to form a good relationship and enjoy a little cheese.
This will, clearly, take a little more yard than one is normally afforded within an urban area. Yes. The eventual goal is to move out some - just a little out of town where one can still go to the ballet without having to drive all day and get a hotel room, yet one is far enough out that goats are considered acceptable.
Lyons is where I'm currently thinking (besides all the other wonderful bits about this great town, it's where the calls for NPR's Car Talk are routed through - fascinating.). I'm sure I've mentioned that one can even take the bus from Lyons into Denver, so there's opportunity to continue the work I'm doing and have a goat or two.
We'll see. I've got plans for the working as well. More on that later.
For now, it's time to throw some clothes on and head out to that work in the current manifestation in which it exists.
The goats for the Virgen were brought to you courtesy of Haystack Mountain Goat Dairy, which makes delicious cheeses from their goats' milk that may just be available in your area. Check them out.
Here's to that. Here's to local, delicious goat cheese. Here's to goats. Here's to having a home in which they are a part of the picture.

No comments:
Post a Comment