Saturday, October 25, 2008

Taking It Easy


Good Morning -

As you can see from the Virgen, it's time for some R&R. My partner and I were doing math yesterday and realized that it was only three weeks ago that we were still in Tucson

Three weeks ago today, I was finishing up loading the massive 24' truck and preparing to head out on our big adventure.

In that time, we've driven our stuff 900 miles, moved it out of the truck and into our new home, organized it, started new jobs, worked two weeks at those jobs, completed all of the I'm New Here Errands (driver's license, license plates, etc.), and adjusted to having fall again.

Busy.

To that end, you see our massage Virgen. The flowers on the model's back speak to the movie Adaptation, which involves orchids. We watched it last night and it's good for a See It Once. She doesn't really look like me (I don't have straight hair, for one...), but I would love to be sleeping on a massage table about now.

I'll put that on the list - look for a local massage school where I can get a good, deep, cheap, rub-down.

Until then, rather than stories, we're going to talk with pictures. Here are some shots of my What now.


View from the dining room through the kitchen out the back window. It's a lovely, sunny fall day and the lighting even makes our dirty dishes look nice.


View up into the skylight in the hallway. As a row house connected on both sides to other row houses, we only have windows in the very front room and the back room (kitchen). Thankfully, though, someone between 1904 when this was built and now added skylights to every room, so it's wonderfully bright in each. I don't do well without a view and natural light, so this is great.

View off the front porch. That's Cathy's little red coche on the street and the brick building across is the side of Safeway. I wouldn't have guessed that I liked living next to a grocery, but, I tell you what, it comes in real handy when you're tired, distracted, and trying to make something to eat.
The two skyscrapers in the distance are part of the Denver skyline. The one on the left is an older building (like, since when I was growing up), and I call it the Cash Register building because the top looks like an old fashioned cash register. The other building is a more recent fancy apartment building with a "models open" banner across the top floor. My partner and I both still use this building as a landmark when we're finding new ways to walk home and are unsure if we're lost or not. If we can see "Models Open", we're close.


View into the backyard. It's a shared space with the tenants of the other three row homes, who are all quite nice, early-to-mid 20-something women who have lived here for a bit, all own dogs, and are friends.
I don't spend a vast amount of time out here, but it's lovely to have a bit of a yard space - shared, dogs, or otherwise. (*Oh - and I love dogs. I struggle with dogs who haven't been trained well so they wander up, nudge with wet noses, and seek attention because their moms work all day and they haven't been trained to sit quietly...).



Speaking of animals, here are ours. This is Squeak as she contemplates a trip down to the basement to nose around.


Owen in Motion. He was stepping away from the food just as I snapped and Autumn growled. Somewhere between the two of them there is love, but it's buried deep down inside.


Speaking of - here's Autumn. I tried to get her face, but, despite appearances, she's quick on her feet and in motion a lot, which makes for a blurry photo.

Finally - Boris. Here he is recovering from his double glucose reading this morning. I did it twice because the first time, the monitor simply read "hi", which I trusted was its assessment of his blood glucose and not a greeting. I could have told you without stabbing him in the ear and getting a blood sample that it was high, so this wasn't helpful. The second time it also read "hi", so I gave up and waited until the vet was open and I could call for a consult. She said when their blood glucose is over 500, the meter gives up and simply states "hi". So "high" it is. (Un)luckily for him, we get to do it three more times today to get a curve and see where he is between meals.
Speaking of, it's about time for another round with the glucometer.
Here's to R&R. Here's to good blood sugar. Here's to fall, and here's to telling stories with pictures.
















No comments: