Friday, August 1, 2008

One Foot in front of the Other

Good Morning -

I just had to clarify with my partner that, should we ever parent humans, I would never say to the children that they are sometimes more trouble than they are worth or that they are on the fast-track to adoption.

I had started to write my blog when I realized that it was 7 a.m., which means it's time for Boris to get his shot. I had written earlier this morning in an email to my sister that Owen, the hussy cat, was handling Boris' health changes really well - that he wasn't trying to eat his canned food or his special diabetic dry food he gets for snacks.

(Owen, my one cat who has never lived on the street or spent time in a shelter (yet), has huge scarcity issues with food - coveting and bullying and eating past full to make a point to the other cats. He's lucky that he also has race car metabolism, so he can be a food jerk and maintain his svelte figure.)

No sooner had I written that then I watched Owen pushed Boris out of the way of his canned food and stuff his little face in there like he hadn't eaten in months.

I tried to move the food dish to the back bedroom and shut Boris in there to eat, but he didn't eat in there (it's hot), so I moved him back to the kitchen and put Owen outside.

No sooner had I sat down to try to write again than I heard Owen getting ready to beat up on Max, our half-cat who lives on the porch. I was able to intervene before the fur began to fly, and told him that sometimes he was more trouble than he was worth as I shepherded him inside.

Once inside, he headed straight to the food dish and knocked Boris out of the way. I scooped him up, told him he was on the fast-track to adoption and played defense while Boris finished his food. He was distraught at the perceived injustice and I can only hope that he watched that canned food means a shot of insulin and that he decides he doesn't want any part of that.

Mama's little train wreck - that's Owen.

Let's talk Virgen (oh, definitely let's since I should be at work in 23 minutes and am nowhere near professional yet...).

The image is from a Sierra Trading Post shoe catalog and sets the tone for right now - one foot in front of the other gets me where I need to go.

A good friend of mine who does psychic and animal message cards told me this phrase years ago during a reading. I was living in San Antonio, trying to sell by myself a house I had bought a year earlier with a friend who had decided 6 months into the mortgage on her 30th birthday that teaching English in Ecuador was really what she needed to be doing, recovering from a "no-thanks" letter from Pratt's Art Therapy program, and unsure of what my next steps were.
This phrase served me well then and is a good reminder now when there's a lot of big changes brewing and I can easily spiral into overwhelmed and frozen.

I think this is because my moon is in Gemini.

Sometimes (especially when the moon is in Gemini) I get so caught up in potentials that I can't even make a simple decision. For instance, I might decide I'm hungry and wonder what I should have to eat.

That thought leads to what's in the fridge, what I wish was in the fridge, my last trip to the grocery, the woman I saw at the grocery the other night who looked sad, other people I've known who are sad, how the current political situation is enough to make anyone sad, the state of our economics and the food system and global crises and on and on and on until it's an hour later and I still haven't eaten.

In these times, I have to remember to break the thought river by taking some action and just eating something.

That's now. There's so much to think about and weave potential stories around that it would be easy for me to get lost in thought and get nothing done - regardless of which sign the moon currently is hanging out in.

Now the thing to get done is a shower because I'm getting ready to be rock star late to work. Fantastic.

Here's time aplenty and forward motion to all.

Max was "helping" me this morning by nesting on the Virgen while I was trying to take its picture.

No comments: