Good Morning -
I did something last night that I have never done before - I said "let's talk salary" and "let me think about it" to a job offer.
Of the three positions for which I am a finalist (the first two being the two PT positions that I would love to combine into one FT position), it was the third that called and offered me the position yesterday evening.
I had a wonderful conversation with the Dean, but talked about salary (I'd be taking a $6K/yr cut for this position) and said I'd like some time (which is really buying time for the other two to get clear that I am the absolute best person for their positions and to hire me). She agreed and we are to talk again on Wednesday or Thursday, after she's had time to play with her budget.
I want those other positions so badly, I could spit, but I know that to turn a position down when moving to a new place is perhaps not the best strategy. It's the difference, though, between having a job and spending 20-40 hours a week mentally engaged, fully compensated, inspired, and excited about what one is doing.
Right now I have a job. With this move to a new city, I want to be able to start right with vocation and have work that inspires and sustains me. The other two positions do that.
Ideally, this is all needless waxing and worrying because, ideally, I get called today and offered both of the other positions.
Now it's time to go to my job. The Virgen you see is a result of my partner going through her piles of placeless things (those piles that don't have a home in your current home so trying to pack them in a coherent box to go to your new home is hard) and suggesting that I use the gold wine bottle gift bag for the Virgen. And so I did.
Here's to getting what you want. Here's to holding true to conviction and intention even when it's new ground. Here's to inspiring and sustaining vocation.

No comments:
Post a Comment