Thursday, September 4, 2008

A New Altitude


Good Morning -

Ok, I'm listening, Universe. Clearly you want me to develop some resiliency right now.

First, the Rob horrorscope for this week that talked all about drawing on my resiliency.

Then, yesterday at work I got the free little newsletter from our Wellness department in my mailbox and the cover article was all about resilience. Turns out, the whole mission of the department is to build resilience in employees, which, frankly, I find a little disturbing. Instead of funding a department that works on building bounce-back in employees, how about the organization work to make sure that we employees have less hard things from which we have to bounce back?

Mission aside, they're a good little department and I've already used them for a free health screening, the discounted purchase of elastic exercise bands, and innumerable tips from their newsletter.

And, now, resiliency training. I read the article before I sliced it up for the Virgen and the main theme seemed to be about having an attitude adjustment.

I thought about this last night while constructing the Virgen and decided that an attitude adjustment is a temporary fix for me. It's the mental zone I can enter in order to maintain a promise of happiness, but it's not sustainable.

What I need, what is sustainable, and will be along-term fix, is to get an altitude adjustment. I need to be a little higher in the atmosphere. Life down here at 2600 ft is hot, dry, and barren - like being at the bottom of the dried up well.

I need a minimum of a mile up. I need the crispness that comes with that air. I need the coolness that occurs when one is a little closer to the moon. I know you might be thinking that I'll also be a little closer to the sun and won't that make it hot and dry, but no.

There's something about the way in which the sun beats down on you here that is particular. I think it has to do with our latitude and general closer-ness to the equator. Either way, it's ruthless and is not minimized by being lower in the atmosphere.

So, until I get my altitude adjustment, I'll work on my attitude adjustment. I'll visualize where I want to be, complete with crisp, cool air, and work on releasing my struggle with where I am right now.

We'll see how it goes.

Here's to bounce-back. Here's to changing one's now so that one has less things from which to bounce-back. Here's to life at 5,280 ft.

No comments: