
Good Morning -
What's this? I thought it was a home for goats and chickens? Where did these bees come from?
These might be the thoughts running through your head as you read the title and look at the Virgen tile this morning.
Bees?
Yes. Bees. I also want to have a hive or two on this land of mine where the goats and chickens live. Like the other livestock I'm interested in forming relationship with, I don't think bees require an advanced biology degree to keep them alive, healthy, and happy.
We'll see.
Right now, I know I love the idea that these amazing little creatures would work their magic with the garden and fruit tree or two that I have on the land. They would be happy and making lots of honey, the trees and plants would be happy and reproducing bountifully, and I would be happy enjoying both and sharing them with my friends and families.
(The rhythm of that last sentence has me thinking of the lines from Out of Africa when Meryl is getting the thorns picked out of her back after trying to save her cattle from a lion. She had managed to chase the lion away, but then had to shoot the ox because it was mortally wounded. Her servant is offering his view of the situation as he tends her wounds and says, "Msabu's bleeding. She does not have this ox. The lion is hungry. He does not have this ox. The wagon is heavy. It does not have this ox. God is happy, Msabu. He plays with us.")
Indeed.
Back to bees. I think they're important. I think they'd make great partners on the farm, and I think the general area would benefit from their presence.
It's not complicated. It might seem complicated, but it's nothing more than jumping in to an already perfect, dynamic relationship between the bees and the plants and supporting when needed.
Here's to that. Here's to already perfect, dynamic relationships that we can simply jump in and join. Here's to pollination. Here's to bees, and here's to home.

No comments:
Post a Comment