Saturday, November 15, 2008

Home for a Good Gathering Place and October Group Shot



Good Afternoon -

So, it's not a morning post, but it's not an evening post either - it's late afternoon, which seems appropriate on a Saturday during which we ate our first meal at 11:30 (oh, was it worth the wait though - Lucile's on Logan...Cajun breakfast, I teared up thinking of New Orleans and the food and the culture and the hope and the struggle and, and, and - and then I ate some more beignet and grits and thought of the hope and renewal and strength in the community).

Anyway, what we have here is a napkin from My Brother's Bar, where my partner and I ended our great date night last night. Where else can both the need for dessert and hot chocolate (me) and beer and poppers (her) be met with such deliciousness and non-chainness? Where else do you get such great bar food with classical music and great food and history and localness and, and, and (someone, I won't name names, is a bit rambly and into certain conjunctions this afternoon...).

I need these sorts of establishments in my community, in the area around the place I call "home". I need local, I need historic, I need character, and endurance.

While I love to cook and clearly have expressed how much I enjoy communal eating out of my home, I also love to partake in food cooked by someone else. Paying that someone else for the food feels good because they are so good at making their food, they can charge for it and when you trade them money for their great food, you're keeping the money right around the general area of the place and your community (Lord, if there's a Succinct Captain out there today, she's surely getting ready to write me up for violations all over the place...).

So, yes - good, local restaurants and food gathering establishments are something else I need in my general home area.

In exchange for all the deliciousness and character they offer to me, I will frequent them. I will tell others about how great they are and when people ask for a restaurant recommendation, I'll point them in the direction of these great local places. I'll take out-of-town guests there. I'll take in-of-town guests there too when it's a night on the town and my turn to pick the restaurant.

Here's to local restaurants and bars. Here's to the deliciousness they bring to community. Here's to character, here's to local and here's to hot chocolate, mousse cake, Twisted Pine Honey Brown, and hand-made poppers served at an old wooden table to the tune of something soft and classical.

Oh, and the October Virgens. They started in Tucson, moved to Denver, and have spent the end of the month describing "home". Yes.

No comments: